What Makes a Godly Heart Thankful?
Thankfulness for Saving Faith – v.4since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus
· Why does Paul thank God for the Colossians’ faith? What does God have to do with the Colossians’ faith? How much is faith something that I exercise and how much is it a work that God does in me?
· What does the following statement mean: “Your faith is only as good as the object of your faith?” Provide some illustrations to clarify yourself.
Thankfulness for genuine love – v.5-6 and of the love that you have for all the saints, because of the hope laid up for you in heaven
· Define love biblically. Use Scriptural support.
· Why do you think Paul is so thankful that the Colossian people have genuine love?
· How does my hope of heaven help me to love other people? How difficult would you find it to love if you didn’t have the hope of heaven?
Thankfulness for advancing grace – v.6 as indeed in the whole world it is bearing fruit and increasing—as it also does among you, since the day you heard it and understood the grace of God in truth
· Articulate what you understand about grace? What relationship do understanding God’s grace and bearing spiritual fruit have with each other?
· What do the following passages teach us about grace? How can understanding them
o Hebrews 12:15-16
o Titus 2:11-12