What You Should Pray for Other Christians
We should pray that other church members know the will of God v. 9 asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding
· What do these other passages teach us about God’s will?
· Why does he add the term “in all spiritual wisdom and understanding”? How is Paul clarifying more particularly what he wants the Colossians to know?
· Based on the answers to the previous questions, define “God’s will” as Paul uses the term.
We should pray that other church members walk worthy of the Lord – v.10 so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God
· Paul thanked God that the Colossians had increasingly born much fruit (v.6), and then he prayed again that they would continue to increasingly bear fruit (v.10). Discuss how praying for those things in others for which you are most thankful is so important. What happens to our intercessory prayer lives when we aren’t thankful for the most important things?
· Why is it so hard to pray for the most important things in the lives of those whom we love: pleasing God, bearing fruit, and growing in our knowledge of him?
You should keep praying that Christians would be strong in the Lord – v.11-12 May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, 12giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light.
· Why is it so easy to forget that anything done for God’s glory must be done in God’s strength?
· Discuss, with Scriptural support, what it means to “be strengthened with all power”? What role do I play? What role does God play?
· If you are having a difficult time “endurance and patience” right now due to “hard times” and “hard people,” ask prayer from your small group in an appropriate way.
Again, Paul gives thanks to God. Why is that so important? How does “giving thanks” provide the opportunity for God’s people to experience the fulfillment of joy in God