The State of the Union Address
In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead
1. The nature of our union with Christ
· What were some of the competing ideologies within the Colossian church that were promises a greater union with God than union with Christ?
· How does Paul combine the covenant signs of “circumcision” and “baptism” to show the sufficiency and preeminence of Christ?
· What does “a circumcision made without hands” imply about what needs to happen to the human heart in order for it to be joined to Christ? How do the following verses help answer that question?
· Deuteronomy 10:16
· Romans 2:29
· Philippians 3:3
2. The benefits of our union with Christ
· What is the purpose of the New Covenant sign of believer’s baptism in water?
· Covenant signs are important, but they are not worth trusting for our salvation. What instead does this passage teach should be the object of our faith?
· Colossians 2:12 says that believers “were” raised from the dead by being united to Christ. Romans 6:4-5 says that our resurrection is future. How are both true?
· What benefits of union with Christ are most significant to you?