An Intentional Mind
Colossians 3:1–4 (ESV)
1If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
2Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.
3For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.
4When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
If then you have been raised with Christ = Since then you have been raised with Christ.
· Why is American culture so concerned with what people “do” for a vocation?
o How do you think this has helped to fuel a male chauvinist ideology? How about a feminist ideology?
o How has this helped women in the work place, and at the same time how has it hurt families?
o How does this discourage Christian growth?
o How does this contribute to workaholism?
o How is the current political climate a reflection of this tendency in our culture?
· Why does God emphasize “who we are” in Christ before he exhorts us to be obedient?
· How encouraging is it to know that your life is safely hidden WITH Christ IN God?
· Which one(s) of the spiritual blessings of who we are in Christ is most encouraging to you?
o I am chosen by God
o I am justified
o I am forgiven of all my sins
o I am bought with a price
o I am adopted
o I am God’s child
o I am a friend of Jesus Christ
o I am a member of Christ’s body
o I am complete in Christ
o I am free from condemnation
o I am seated in the heavenly realm
o I am being conformed to the image of Christ
o I am inseparable from the love of Christ
o I am a citizen of heaven
o I am able to approach the throne of grace
o I am God’s temple
o I am God’s workmanship
o I am a minister of God
o I am able to do all things through Christ
· Can you think of any particular verses that support the previous blessings we have “in Christ”?
Why is it so difficult for believers to think of these things? What practical steps can you take to develop an intentional mind about who you are "in Christ"?