An Intentional Mind
*this covers both of the last two sermons
Colossians 3:1–4 (ESV)
1If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
2Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.
3For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.
4When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
If then you have been raised with Christ = Since then you have been raised with Christ.
· Why is American culture so concerned with what people “do” for a vocation?
o How do you think this has helped to fuel a male chauvinist ideology? How about a feminist ideology?
o How has this helped women in the work place, and at the same time how has it hurt families?
o How does this discourage Christian growth?
o How does this contribute to workaholism?
o How is the current political climate a reflection of this tendency in our culture?
· Why does God emphasize “who we are” in Christ before he exhorts us to be obedient?
· How encouraging is it to know that your life is safely hidden WITH Christ IN God?
· Which one(s) of the spiritual blessings of who we are in Christ is most encouraging to you?
o I am chosen by God
o I am justified
o I am forgiven of all my sins
o I am bought with a price
o I am adopted
o I am God’s child
o I am a friend of Jesus Christ
o I am a member of Christ’s body
o I am complete in Christ
o I am free from condemnation
o I am seated in the heavenly realm
o I am being conformed to the image of Christ
o I am inseparable from the love of Christ
o I am a citizen of heaven
o I am able to approach the throne of grace
o I am God’s temple
o I am God’s workmanship
o I am a minister of God
o I am able to do all things through Christ
· Can you think of any particular verses that support the previous blessings we have “in Christ”?
· What does “Refocus” mean in the scheme “Repent-Refocus-Replace”? Be as thorough as you can be in your discussion.
· We are to “seek those things that are above” and “set our minds on things that are above.” This is something we are to do intentionally and it challenges just how much we really love the Lord. It is hard to keep a clear focus on something that you do not really love.
o How does a “superiority complex” show that your love is misdirected away from the Lord?
§ How does an understanding of grace humble this person?
o How does an “inferiority complex” show that your love is misdirected away from the Lord?
§ How does an understanding of grace encourage this person?
· How much do you really hope that Jesus will return soon and that you will be like him? Another way to ask this question is by asking, “How much do you work at being Christlike since God’s overall plan for history is to bring everything under the Lordship of Christ and to make a select group of people just like the Lord Jesus Christ?"
· Discuss some practical steps that a believer can take to intentionally think on "things that are above" more and more. What are some things that are stumbling blocks and what are some things that can help assist the believer?