What I Should Be Putting On: Compassion
Colossians 3:12 (ESV)
12Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts…
1. What does it mean “put on…compassionate hearts”? What is the literal word for compassion, and why does Paul use that term?
2. What is the opposite of compassion that we need to put off?
3. Who are some biblical examples of compassion?
· Luke 1:76-79
· 2 Corinthians 6:1-12
· 2 Corinthians 7:15
· Philippians 1:8
· 1 John 3:17
4. In what ways can you and I work on being more compassionate today? What are some practical steps you can take to develop more compassion?
5. Do you understand the fact that your need to be compassionate flows out of the fact that God chose you to that end? What does that mean? What difference does it make to you?
6. What difference does it make that you ARE holy, therefore you SHOULD be putting on more of a compassionate heart? How can somebody be holy and still need to grow in their compassion?
7. How does it help to know that because God loves you and accepts you for Jesus’ sake, you can grow in being compassionate? How much does you attitude (i.e., your “refocus”) affect your ability to be compassionate?