The Unyielding Wife
Colossians 3:18 (ESV)
18Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.
1. Why is “submission” not just an issue that wives must grapple with?
2. Why does this exhortation to wives occur at this point in Paul’s letter? What has he said to prepare everybody for this exhortation?
3. Why is it important for wives to first understand the Gospel and who they are in Christ before they attempt to tackle the issue of submission?
4. Are you satisfied with the illustration of the relationship between a husband and wife like the relationship of a quarterback to a receiver?
5. What difference does it make that wives are submitting to somebody who is their equal as opposed to somebody who is inherently superior to them?
6. What are some examples of submission that is “not fitting” as opposed to submission that “is fitting”?
7. Discuss the positive elements of biblical submission:
d. How does Genesis 2:18 contribute to this discussion?
e. Why is it important to see submission as something that is active and intentional rather than passive and reactionary?
8. In what way is biblical submission possible because of Christ:
a. As a model of submission?
b. As the source of grace for spiritual growth?
c. As the giver of every other necessary resource to obey the command to be submissive?