The Harsh Husband
Colossians 3:19 (ESV)
19Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them.
1. What was so unique about Paul’s command that husbands engage their wives with an “agape” love?
2. How does Colossians 3:14 help understand this command a little bit better?
3. If there is both mutual submission between a husband and a wife (e.g., Eph.5:21), and the submission of a wife to the husband as a body to its head (e.g., Eph.5:22-24)…
a. in what way can both husbands and wives be submissive to each other while at the same time the wife be submissive to her husband as the head of the covenant marriage?
b. what is the husband accountable to God for that the wife isn’t?
c. how does the illustration of the quarterback/receiver help explain this relationship?
4. Maybe the following exercise will help clarify the previous question. Practically speaking…
a. How would a head love a body?
b. How would a body love a head?
c. How would a head be submissive to a body?
d. How would a body be submissive to a head?
5. How can you as a husband better pray for the needs of your wife?
6. How can you as a husband better understand your wife’s personal wants and desires?
7. How can you as a husband, “give yourself” to meet those needs and desires?
8. How can a wife help a husband do these things better?