1. Why is it important for Christians to be prepared to give an answer to an atheist or a pluralist or an evolutionist who asks, “How do you know that the Bible is God’s Word?”
[an answer]: B/c God commands us to be prepared (in 1 Pet. 3:15), & b/c people need to hear the qualitative answers that the Bible gives.
2. Why is it important for Christians to be able to answer for themselves / himself – that the Bible is God’s Word?
[an answer]: B/c when we’re experiencing difficulties, we’re tempted to doubt that God is working all things together for good (Rom. 8:28).
3. What do you think David Wells meant by, “Revelation is not a matter of human discovery but of divine self-disclosure?”
[an answer]: We can’t figure out the Gospel on our own. We’re dependent upon God to reveal the truth to us.
4. In John 10:4 Jesus said, “…the sheep follow him, for THEY KNOW HIS [i.e., self-authenticating] VOICE.”
I frequently argue: Just b/c you don’t know my (earthly) father’s voice doesn’t mean that I don’t. Similarly, just b/c you don’t know [fill in the blank]
[answer]: … Jesus’ voice doesn’t mean that I don’t.
5. What do you think about the lyrics, “You ask me how I know He lives; He lives within my heart.”
[an answer]: Altho that’s not an exhaustive answer, I think it’s a good answer.
6. 1 Thes. 2:13 “When you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God, WHICH IS AT WORK IN YOU believers.
Can you give examples of when the Word of God worked in your life & thereby undergirded that the Bible is the Word of God?
7. 1 John 5:10 “Whoever believes in the Son of God has the testimony IN HIMSELF.” Why did I choose “classic cars” to illustrate this verse?
[answer]: Even tho people can’t put their love for classic cars in a test tube, many people nonetheless have classic cars in their hearts. Similarly, even tho the Son of God can’t be put in a test tube, Christians nonetheless have Him in their hearts.
8. If a non-Christians complains, “It’s not fair that God reveals & opens some peoples’ minds, but He hasn’t opened my mind,” how would you reply?
[an answer]: Ask Jesus to give you an u/standing. God may oblige. After all, Jesus didn’t die on the cross to play hide ’n’ seek.
9. I gave 2 illustrations: 1) about a mom that couldn’t convince a skeptic that she had experienced pain in child bearing; 2) about me proving to a skeptic that Nancy married me. What was my point?
[answer] Even tho I can’t convince the skeptic, I know that I said “I do” to Jesus - & I’m living like a married person (spiritually speaking).
10. What do you think about the lyrics, “I need no other argument; I need no other plea. It is enough that Jesus died & that He died for me.”
[an answer]: When God reveals / opens our minds, etc. – we need no other argument. But, thankfully, God has given us many evidences that corroborate that the Bible is God’s Word.
11. Muslims argue experientially, “Allah revealed to me that the Koran is God’s word;” Mormons argue experientially, “I have ‘a burning in the bosom’ that the Book of Mormon is God’s Word.” How can we Christians respond?
[an answer]: Those are internal, subjective arguments. Do you have any external, objective evidences that undergird your claim? We Christians have many evidences that the Bible is God’s Word: Prophecies, history, science, literary artistry, practicality, etc.
12. God gives us more than internal / experiential reasons to believe; He also gives us external / evidential reasons to believe. Why is this helpful?
[an answer]: Evidences can nudge a person to take baby steps toward God. Evidences illustrate that we Christians aren’t trying to get the non-Christian to take an irrational, blind leap of fate into the dark but a supra-rational step of faithinto the light!
13. What prophetical or historical or scientific evidences do you like (whether for yourself or other Christians or non-Christians) to confirm that the Bible is God’s Word?
[some evidences]: Solomon’s chariots at Megiddo; the remains of the Hittites; the 5 Porticos near the pool (John)….
14. What are life’s sine qua non questions - & how would you briefly answer them?
[my answers]: Where did I come from? God!
Why am I here? - to love God & neighbor.
Where am I going? We either perish or have everlasting life (John 3:16)
Who am I? I’m a person who God created in His image.
Why is there evil in the world? B/c Adam & Eve sinned & b/c everyone sins.
15. [Re. “Changed lives”] Are you prepared to briefly share your testimony?
[me] When I was 5, I received Jesus into my life.
16. List some examples of how the Bible is all about Jesus:
[some examples]: animal sacrifices … Jesus is the lamb. “a prophet like [Moses]” (Deut. 18:18) … Jesus is that prophet (Acts 3:22; 7:34). Isa. 28:16; Ps. 118:22; Isa. 8:14 (“cornerstone”) … 1 Pet. 2.