1 Peter 2:18-25
1. How does Paul’s encouragement to the Corinthian church in 1 Corinthians 7:17-24 both encourage slaves in slavery and encourage the abolition of slavery?
2. Why is it wrong to use 1 Peter 2:18-25 as a justification for slavery?
3. When Peter says “live as free people” in 1 Peter 2:15, how do you think the slaves who read his leter received his encouragement?
4. Throughout this passage, two types of slavery/freedom are talked about: physical and spiritual. Please discuss how everybody is a slave to somebody/something on one of those levels.
5. Discuss this quote: “…where there is no inner freedom, outward freedom only leads only to new slavery.” Ellison
6. In what way is every believer free? How should this affect the way we serve people who are very difficult in our lives?
7. How do you tend to respond to people who are unjust and unfair? How can this passage help you respond in love without necessarily giving them what they want? Go through each verse individually in v.21-25 and discuss how the Gospel makes a difference and allows you to really serve difficult people by giving them what they need.