Abiding in the Vine
1. What are some other possible translations for the word translated “abide” in the ESV?
2. What difference do you think it makes when you translate the word as “remain” rather than “abide”?
3. What do the different Biblical metaphors of our union with Christ each add to our understanding of this crucial doctrine?
a. A stone in a building
b. A member of a body
c. A marriage
d. A branch in a vine
4. In John 14-17, how are all the members of the Trinity portrayed as both creating and sustaining our union with Christ?
5. How is v. 2 a:
6. We are responsible to remain in the vine and yet God enables us to do this. This is called the doctrine of “the perseverance of the saints.” In the doctrine of perseverance, according to this passage…
a. What role does faith play in v.5? What is faith?
b. What role does fruitfulness play in v.2-8? What is fruitfulness?
c. What role does prayer play? What things should we be praying for above all else?
d. What role does obedience play? What are we supposed to obey?