1 Corinthians 1:30
1. Can you elaborate on the wisdom of God that he displayed in conceiving and implementing the Gospel story from the following texts?
a. Luke 10:21
b. Luke 11:49
c. Romans 11:33
d. 1 Corinthians 1:21ff
e. 1 Corinthians 2:7ff
f. Ephesians 1:8
g. Ephesians 3:10
2. What aspect of salvation does “righteousness” refer to?
a. What does “righteousness” mean?
b. How does Romans 8 teach us to rest in Christ when there is an all-out assault on your assurance of salvation?
3. What does “sanctification” mean?
a. In what ways are justification and sanctification similar?
b. In what ways are they different?
c. How difficult is it to both rest in Christ and work for Christ at the same time?
d. Which do you tend to emphasize to the neglect of the other?
e. How is his grace opposed to earning but not working?
f. How does 1 Cor.15:10 show that our reward is due to God’s grace and our working even though it’s something that we will never earn?
4. What aspect of salvation does “redemption” refer to? (See Rom.8:30; Eph.1:14; 4:30)
a. On what basis does God reward our works according to 1 Cor.3:14 and the surrounding passage?
5. How does union with Christ make all of these gracious things possible?